How LSI Protects Your Data
LSI works hard to earn and maintain your trust by processing your data in a secure, reliable, and compliant environment. Security and privacy are critically important, which is why we have invested deeply to protect your data.
Over two million teachers and students use our products and services for educational purposes, and more than 500 schools have chosen our products and services. We understand that our schools have varying regulatory needs, and LSI helps address these diverse requirements by providing robust security, compliance, and data protection capabilities. LSI has industry-leading knowledge and expertise building secure cloud infrastructure and applications at scale.
Trust begins with understanding. Understanding requires transparency. We welcome the opportunity to introduce you to our products and, in particular, we invite you to review our webpage and detailed documentation.
Security and Privacy
Good privacy requires strong security. We’ve spent years developing an advanced, security-focused infrastructure to keep your information safe.
It’s Your Data
LSI customers own their data, not LSI. The data that companies, schools, and students put into our systems is theirs. LSI does not sell your data to third parties. LSI offers our customers our commitment to protecting your data. For example, LSI will not process your data for any purpose other than to fulfill our contractual obligations. Further, we commit to deleting data from our systems within 180 days of your deleting it in our services. Finally, we provide tools to make it easy for you to take your data with you if you choose to stop using our services altogether, without penalty or additional cost imposed by LSI.
No Ads in LSI Products for Education Services
There are no ads in any LSI product and we have no plans to change this in the future.
Additionally, we do not collect or use any information stored in LSI products for any advertising purposes.
LSI products are configured by your organization’s administrator. Administrators can also set a policy determining who inside your organization has access to our products and services and what information is passed to us.
For example, IT administrators can make sure that younger students are anonymous inside our products while giving college-aged students the ability to share more information. For more information on administrative controls and settings, please refer to our Administrative Help Center.
A Secure and Reliable Infrastructure
We work exceptionally hard to keep your information safe. LSI employs more than 150 full-time professionals all committed to protecting your data, including experts in computer security. LSI invests millions of dollars in our technology and integrates security protections into all of our products.
Here are a few examples of how security and reliability are at the core of what we do:
- LSI runs its data center using customized hardware running a customized operating system and file system. Each of these systems has been optimized for security and performance. Since LSI controls the entire hardware stack, we are able to quickly respond to any threats of weaknesses that may emerge.
- LSI's application and network architecture is designed for maximum reliability and uptime. Data is distributed across multiple servers. If a machine fails your data will still be accessible. LSI operates our data centers with the intent of keeping the services you use running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- LSI products offer a 99.9% service level agreement, and in recent years, we’ve exceeded this promise; NetTutor achieved 99.997% availability in 2013. Furthermore, LSI products have no scheduled downtime or maintenance windows. Unlike most providers, we do not plan for our applications to be unavailable, even when we’re upgrading our services or maintaining our systems.
- LSI products are scrutinized by privacy, security, and compliance specialists throughout the product life-cycle. This helps ensure that data is handled appropriately and no unwarranted access is allowed or possible.
- LSI is constantly working to extend and strengthen our encryption.
At LSI, we work to continually meet rigorous privacy and compliance standards so that your users can rest easy knowing that their data is safe, private, and secure.
Independent Reviews of Infrastructure, Applications, and Operations
Our customers have conducted independent verifications of security, privacy, and compliance controls. LSI undergoes reviews on a regular basis to provide this assurance.
U.S. Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
More than three million students rely on LSI products and services. LSI complies with FERPA and our commitment to do so is included in our agreements.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA)
Protecting children online is important to us. We contractually require users of LSI products and services to obtain the parental consent that COPPA calls for to use our products, and our services can be used in compliance with COPPA.
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
LSI supports our customers' compliance with HIPAA. Customers who are subject to HIPAA and wish to use LSI products and services with Protected Health Information (PHI) must sign a Business Associate Agreement (BAA) with LSI. Administrators can request a BAA before using LSI services with PHI.